Bear Rank Advancement
Here’s How to Help Your Scout Advance!
To earn the Bear badge, a youth must complete six required adventures, plus one elective adventure, and complete the Cyber Chip award for their age.
The required adventures are:
- Bear Claws is all about pocketknife safety.
- Bear Necessities is all about camping and cooking and campfire fun.
- Fellowship and Duty to God will often be an at-home because faith beliefs in Scouting are determined by the family and everyone's duty is different.
- Fur, Feathers and Ferns is an adventure that fairly cries out "field trip", what with a one-mile walk, observing wildlife, examining plants, and planting a garden.
- Baloo the Builder is about using tools and wood tools.
- Paws for Action is all about history/patriotism, basic emergency preparedness, energy conservation and a cleanup service project.
The 12 elective adventures areand
Parents/guardians or the den leader approve each requirement by signing the Scout’s handbook. Scouts receive an adventure loop on completing each adventure and, after meeting all requirements, have earned the Bear badge.
More information about doing the Bear adventures at home with your Scout is found on – even more resources are available at which has both fun den group activity ideas plus family-led adventure resources (simple plans, videos, tips and more, like those in the adventure by adventure links above) for parents to do on their own schedules.