Merit Badge Counselor
MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR PROCEDURE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Sensitive documents can be submitted using Send Safely.
No. If you are a current merit badge counselor you only need to submit your Merit Badge Counselor Information sheet, proof of current YPT and copy of any special Certifications.
We believe that every child should have the chance to be a Scout! Because of the generosity of local families, businesses and leaders, the Atlanta Area Council can offer assistance to support local families in need.
Per the 2019 Guide to Advancement, it is the Council Advancement Committee responsibility to ensure that each Merit Badge Counselor understand the BSA Aims, Methods and Mission. Furthermore, we need to ensure that each MBC know how each scout can learn and grow through the Merit Badge process.
https://my.scouting.org/dashboard-legacy. - Log in, From Menu on top left dropdown to My Training. - Then click on Training Center in the middle. - Then Scouts BSA. First box is MBC Training. - Complete courses SCO_430,431,433,434,435, and 448
To help you understand why the BSA is making this change, the scope of the background check, how to submit forms and more, we have prepared a list of answers to Frequently Asked Questions with assistance from our National organization. Please review this list and contact your Unit Commissioner or your District Professional if you have additional questions. Click here to find the new Background Check Authorization and Disclosures.
- Beginning in 2020 all registered adults will be submitted for an updated criminal background check with rechecks every five years.
- A new, signed Background Check Authorization form must be completed in order to begin this process.
- All units must ensure their adult volunteers have completed these forms before their membership can be processed for 2020.
- Volunteers should turn completed forms in to their Pack, Troop, Crew, Post or Ship for submission with their annual unit renewal.
We are looking at the renewal process to ensure continuity of merit badge counselors. Information will be updated as it is formulized.
The District Advancement Chair (DAC) will look at the Merit Badge Counselor Information Sheet and ensure that special certifications are current and attached for merit badges such as NRA certificate, National Camp School, etc), check the references of a new applicant and make sure that there is a current YPT before a counselor is approved.
Beginning on page 44 of The Guide to Advancement, you can see the full list of merit badges and the certifications needed to properly teach the merit badge.
If the Unit submits a properly completed merit badge application packet (all items are accounted for), The goal is as follows:
- The DAC should approve within one week and submit to the Program Center.
- The program center will input within one week the information in the Scoutnet system.
- The Master Merit Badge Counselor List is updated at the end of each month
If the Application comes to the Program Center First and all items are properly submitted:
- The Program Director will upload once per week to the DAC private file
- The DAC will once a week approve and upload back to the private file
- The Program Director will give approved applications to the Program Center to input into Scoutnet.
|Merit Badge Counselor Procedure Call 10-14-19||Download|