The Atlanta Area Council Campmaster Corps is a group of experienced Scouters who support weekend camp activities at the Atlanta Area Council camp properties, Bert Adams, Woodruff and Allatoona Aquatics Base. Members of the Campmaster Corps have a working knowledge of the BSA Outdoor Programs, the Patrol method, Troop and Unit operations and general knowledge of the aims and objectives of the Scouting Outdoor Program.
Campmasters spend the weekend at the Atlanta Area Camp Properties in a comfortable cabin with simple amenities (kitchen, cooking utensils, private bathrooms, and beds) while providing service to Units camping at the property during the weekend. Typically, weekend duties begin when the Campmaster arrives on Friday and end on Sunday around noon (after the units have left the camp or when the Ranger says it is okay to leave). Campmasters can request their weekend and amount of service and some Campmasters serve as husband and wife teams for the weekend.
During the weekend, Campmasters are a visible presence at the camp property, visiting the Units at campsites and program facilities to provide assistance, ensuring the safety and security of the Units and camp property by inspecting facilities and campsites at various times.
During a typical weekend, Campmasters will:
- Check units into camp and collect rosters.
- Interact with the Unit Leaders to provide Commissioner-type service and other assistance as requested.
- Assist the Camp Rangers with special projects when requested.
- Help ensure camp policies are being followed by visiting units, campsites and camp facilities.
- Provide unit leaders with outdoor program and facility assistance to enhance the unit’s camping experience.
- Assist Rangers and Units during emergency situations.
- Check units out of at the end of their stay.
To be considered for the Campmaster Corps, you should be an experiened and registerd volunteer leader and knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Scouting Outdoor Programs (all levels)
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Outdoor skills
- Specialized skills in Nature, Outdoors and other Scouting programs
- Able to discuss safety and camp policies with Unit leaders during their stay
- Able to visit units in campsites and visit camp facilities several times during your weekend.
So, are you ready to join the team? If you would like more information about the Campmaster Corps contact Darden and Becky Borders, Chief Campmasters.