Merit Badge University
Merit Badge University | 2021 TBA
Merit Badge University is a quality Merit Badge program that helps Scouts learn about different fields of knowledge. By recruiting experienced professional counselors, Scouts receive an unparalleled experience. It’s hosted on the beautiful Kennesaw State University - Marietta campus, giving Scouts a great opportunity to experience a college atmosphere.
Interested in being an instructor? Let us know!
The $20 registration fee includes breakfast as well as program materials for most classes with only a few exceptions. A few classes may have additional fees or may run shorter or longer than the event schedule. You will be notified of any of these exceptions by the instructor after you register.
7:30 am to 8:00 am - Drop-off near the Gymnasium(P22) (Breakfast provided for all registered Scouts)
8:10 am to 8:25 am - Flags and Opening Assembly
8:30 am - Scouts disburse to Classrooms (Class time is 4 hours)
12:45 pm - All Scouts reconvene near the Gymnasium for Dismissal
1:00 pm - Pick-up/ Dismissal at the parking lot near the Gymnasium(P22)
TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING
Enter KSU Marietta campus from US 41 Cobb Parkway at Polytechnic Lane and travel west. Please do not enter campus from the South Marietta Parkway 120 Loop or South Cobb Drive/Delk Road as you will risk getting lost. Please note MBU is at the KSU Marietta campus, not the main Kennesaw campus.
Drop off is in parking lot P22 on Clair Harris Road and Polytechnic Lane. ADA parking is in parking lot P21 next to the old gymnasium on Polytechnic Lane. Once you drop off your Scouts in lot P22, check-in is down the hill in the AstroTurf field in front of the S. Walter Kelly Sr. Memorial Field (next to the gym but not visible from the street). After your Scout has checked in for the event, he/she will enter the gym for opening ceremonies.
For mapping purposes, enter KSU East Marietta Parking into your mapping program and that will get you close to lot P22.
DO NOT DROP OFF your Scouts on Polytechnic Lane!!! This is for their safety as the road will be congested. The area in front of the gym will be blocked off with snow fence to help control the flow of traffic. KSU police and BSA volunteers will be on hand to help direct traffic into lot P22.
Here is a link to the latest KSU Marietta Campus map: https://kennesaw.edu/maps/docs/marietta_printable_campus_map.pdf You can see Lot P22 and the gymnasium is on the south part of campus.
To help with safety and ease congestion, please consider carpooling with your Troop. Scout drop off is from 7:30am to 8:00am.
Pick up will begin at 12:45pm in lot P22 where you dropped your Scout off. All Scouts have to be picked up no later than 1:15pm. Please do not make alternate arrangements for pick up locations as we need to make sure all Scouts are accounted for. If you absolutely must make different plans, please let the merit badge counselor know.
NOTES FOR SCOUTS AND PARENTS
• All Scouts must be dropped off and picked up at the parking lot near the Gymnasium(P22). Scouts must not leave from their classrooms.
• Scouts are expected to wear full Class A field uniform unless directed otherwise by their Merit Badge course counselor.
• The Merit Badge course counselors will be provided with their class lists in early November, and your counselor may contact you via email with detailed information or prerequisites.
• KSU-Marietta is in session, and we are their guests. Parents who choose to wait on campus must stay in the Gym or in nearby outdoor seating. Young children/siblings should be left at home due to safety hazards for youngsters on this college campus; all young children/siblings must be closely supervised (kept within arm’s reach). Absolutely no pets are allowed on campus!
• Cell phone usage by Scouts is discouraged from 8 am (drop-off) to 1 pm (pick-up). Cell phones must be put on SILENT or turned off at the beginning of the class, and the cell phone will be taken from any Scout who uses their phone during class time unless they have specific permission from their course counselor. Expect that counselors will implement a cell phone control system in their classroom.
• Scouts will be able to print a “blue card” indicating their progress, from the Tentaroo registration system, within one week after the event. Some merit badges can be fully earned at this MBU; other merit badges will be partially completed and the individualized blue card will list the completed requirements.
• There are NO CONCESSIONS available, so Scouts may bring a sealed snack/drink to consume during the morning break.
Cancelations made prior to 5 PM on October 18 will receive a full refund. Cancellations made after 5 pm October 18 but before midnight October 31st will receive a 50% refund. Beginning November 1st, no refunds will be issued but the registered Scout may swap to a different merit badge class that has available seats. Those still on waitlists on October 19 will be able to select another class or be issued a refund.
Our class offerings are still being finalized, but they will include the following: Art, Bugling Chemistry, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communication, Composite Materials, Crime Prevention, Dentistry, Digital Technology, Disability Awareness, Electronics, Emergency Preparedness, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Science, Fire Safety, First Aid, Geneology, Geocaching, Journalism, Music, Nuclear Science, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, Photography, Programming, Public Speaking, Radio, Space Exploration, Stamp Collecting, Sustainability, Traffic Safety, and Weather.
Scouts will only be able to select one MB class, and most will require pre-work and post-work. The week after the event you will be emailed instructions on how to pull the report on items completed the day of and any pre-work they bring in.
Want to find out if there is space in the class you want? Click here!