COPE and Climbing Instructor Training
Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience (COPE) and Climbing Instructors are volunteers who are trained to deliver programs involving climbing, rappelling, vertical caving, and other high ropes elements, as well as bouldering and balance sports (slacklining, crate stacking) and Climbing Merit Badge instruction. Training for these instructor positions are held in-person at AAC Scout Camps. Group events of this type contribute to skill level development, teamwork, group cohesiveness, and leadership development in Scouts and Adults, and are often used to develop group cohesion prior to a High Adventure evet (Philmont, Sea base, Northern Tier, Summit, etc.). This all starts with trained leaders.
- Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Participants under 18 will receive their Counselor in Training (CIT) certification card and will allow them to work as training Cope/Climbing staff.
- CPR/AED/First Aid through Red Cross is required prior to receiving your Instructor Cards, you can find upcoming opportunities for this certification at CPR Saturday or on the Red Cross website.
- Red Cross certifications done fully online do not meet the requirements. In-Person and Blended Learning trainings do meet the requirements.
- All participants for both courses are required to bring their current BSA health form. In addition, the following forms are required:
- Parental Informed Consent Form - see Annual Health & Medical Record
- Release / Hold Harmless - see Annual Health & Medical Record
Graduates of this training will be able to staff Climbing/COPE events at AAC camps, and offsite, under the supervision of a Level 2 Climbing/COPE Instructor or a Climbing/COPE Director. Cost includes course materials and meals.
Climbing Instructor Training
When: September 29 - October 1, 2023
Location: Bert Adams Scout Reservation
Notes: Level 1 & Level 2 Climbing Instructor Training will be held Friday through Sunday, at Bert Adams Scout Reservation (Friday evening and Sunday) Upon completion of the course you will receive your Climbing Instructor Level 1 card. A course outline and advanced study material can be obtained from David Garton email@example.com and/or David Briick firstname.lastname@example.org