The Popcorn Sale is Important!
• Scouts gain confidence, salesmanship and communication skills, and a sense of accomplishment. The popcorn sale is not about selling popcorn, it’s about promoting Scouting and the Scouting ideals!
• Units have the ability to fund their entire year’s program through the popcorn sale alone (45% of selling Units lastyear achieved this). We have also changed the ordering guidelines and Units are allowed to order by container and not by the full case (Take Order only). This reduces the risk of having left over product at the end of the sale.
• The popcorn sale helps the Council raise money for improving the summer camp facilities/building new camp locations, offering more extensive training for our volunteer leaders and members, and helping us get to know and serve the needs of our volunteers and Units better.
Overview of the 2014 Sale
• Fewer products to choose from – simplify the mix.
• Unit Commission: There are three tiers of Unit commission.
1. If your Unit sells popcorn and doesn’t do anything else (training, kickoff, etc.), Unit commission is 30%.
2. If your Unit does all of the following, Unit Commission is 35%:
• Unit Kernel/Committee Chair/other volunteer attends June unit Kernel training (the next and final two we
have are on June 24th in Roswell and June 26th in Douglasville) and August Council Kickoff Party (Top
Seller Units can use the Top Seller reception on July 21st as a substitute for the August Council kickoff
• Have a Unit Kickoff and send a picture of it to Emily.Rendini@scouting.org
• Pick up your Unit’s popcorn as scheduled at your delivery site
• Pay on time (by December 4th)
3. If your Unit does all of the above AND increases its total sale by 10% over 2013, Unit Commission is 38%!
Unit Commitment and Goal
Make sure the Unit is registered by taking the survey on the popcorn website (make sure both a June and August training/kickoff are selected; these can be changed later if necessary). Set a goal for the Unit (research showed sales were 170% higher among Scouts who set a sales goal, and 89% higher among Units that set a sales goal). Total sales must be increased by 10% to qualify for the 38% commission (multiply last year’s total sale by 1.1 for a goal for this year that is 10% higher than last year). You can also break the Unit goal down to individual Scouts based on number of Scouts in the Unit and how many participated last year.
To participate in the Popcorn Sale, please contact Emily Rendini